Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 20, 2013

Mid Autumn Moon Festival

This past weekend, we got together with my family to pray for my grandma on the anniversary of her death and to celebrate Tet Trung Thu (Autumn Moon Festival). I have fond memories of lighting paper lanterns and eating mooncake as a kid and I wanted to pass that tradition on the Parker so we stopped by Van's bakery before heading to my parents to pick up some mooncake. At about 1000 calories a piece, these delicious little cakes are usually made with red bean or lotus seed paste and salted egg yolks. The more egg yolks, the more expensive the price of the mooncake but it's all worth it becuase the egg is the best part! We would fight over it when we were little and gobble up our mooncake slices with glee. 
 
If you are interested in taking your little ones to celebrate the Mid Autumn Moon Festival, head downtown this Saturday to the Chuang Garden at the San Diego Chinese Historical Musuem from 1-3 PM. There will be story telling, Chinese arts and crafts, calligraphy demonstrations and a chance for kids to make their own mooncakes!
 
Saturday, September 21, 2013
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
$4 admission for adults/Free for kids under 12 and members
 
 
[Exploring the texture of his first mooncake while sitting in my dad's lap]

 
[Van's bakery is always our go-to bakery for birthday cakes and other sweet treats]

 
[It's become a tradition to take a photo with anyone who falls asleep at a family get together! Haha sorry Mymy!]
 
 
[Don't drop that mooncake, Parker! That's a $8 cake.]


[Parker napping with my mom. My parents don't get to spend that much time with him so they were happy to help babysit so Tuan and I could go on our date night.]



2 comments :

  1. Really great that you are introducing him to these cultural traditions early on! He's going to be such a well rounded boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I want him to experience all the fun vietnamese traditions I grew up with. Can't wait until Tet!

      Delete