Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, November 1, 2013

Milk Anxiety + A Lactation Cookie Recipe

Mamas,

I'm suffering from a bit of milk anxiety. Parker is now almost 9 months old and my milk supply has dropped considerably. I went from pumping 16+ oz a day to pumping 5 oz a day at work.  I have plenty of milk stored but I really wanted to make it to 1 year and I don't quite have enough yet. AHHHH. I even stopped walking during my lunch hour since that was also affecting my milk supply. Mom problems for sure.


I guess it's time to drink some Mother's Milk tea and bake some lactation cookies! I made these cookies last night with my SIL and they are so good. They don't even taste like special cookies.

Lactation Cookies
Original recipe spotted on allrecipes.com

Ingredients
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1/4 cup water
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup brewers yeast
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup mini chocolate chips

*Note: Don't let unfamiliar ingredients scare you from making these cookies. All the ingredients are readily available at your local Sprouts. I baked a couple dozen and froze the rest of the dough to make at a later date.

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix flaxseed with water in small bowl and let soak for 5 mins
3. Beat butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat to incorporate. Stir flax seed mixture into the butter mixture.
4. Mix flour, brewer's yeast, wheat germ baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in a seperate bowl. Add to butter mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in oats and chocolate chips.
5. Rill dough into 1.5 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Allow cookies to cook on baking sheet for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

The recipe is good as is but next time I may try to add some other ingredients for variety. I would recommend trying: coconut flakes, cinnamon, peanut butter, raisins. The possibilities are endless!





 

No comments :

Post a Comment