[Mouthwatering photo from The Culinary Chronicles]Serves 4 very hungry people
Oven Braised Lemon Chicken
8 Pieces of bone-in chicken (I used thighs and drumsticks)
6 Garlic cloves
1 Small onion, thinly sliced
2 Cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
4 Sprigs of fresh rosemary
8 Lemon slices
1 Dried bay leaf
2 Tablespoons of capers, drained
2 Cups of low sodium chicken broth
1/2 Teaspoon of red chili flakes
3 Tablespoons of olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Generously season chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Heat olive oil on medium high in large dutch oven. Brown chicken in batches and transfer to plate. Discard all but 2-3 tablespoons of leftover grease.
4. Lower heat to medium and add garlic cloves, cooking until lightly golden. Add onions and cook until evenly browned. Add chili flakes and saute for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
6. Return chicken to the pot with skin side up.
7. Add lemon slices, bay leaf, capers and rosemary sprigs, submerging them underneath the liquid.
8. Place lid on the pot and put it in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
9. Take the pot out of the oven. Remove rosemary, bay leaf and skim off fat or impurities. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
10. Plate chicken and serve with fresh bread or other sides.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! It's a hearty meal that will fill your belly with happiness.